18 June 2014
So here’s the deal. I really like biscotti. I just forget how much I like it until I’m eating it. It’s a strange thing. I made a batch of peanut butter biscotti for a potluck at work and was like “oh yeah, these are good.”
As a result, when a certain special someone said she wanted to bake something one Sunday afternoon I decided that I needed more biscotti and seeing as I had some Nutella to use up, it was a perfect fit.
05 June 2014
- Drive-ins are still fantastic.
- Parents are being cautioned that if they want to purchase Frozen merchandise for Christmas they should start buying it now, which is both insane and terrifying at the same time.
- Christmas is only about six months away, also insane and terrifying.
- I was part of Color (sic) Me Rad last weekend. I was blowing Rainbows out of my nose until sometime on Monday.
- The people throwing the coloured cornstarch took way too much pleasure in pelting me in the side of the head.
- My girlfriend and her friend took way too much pleasure laughing at the purple cornstarch caked into my left ear and the orange cornstarch caked into my right ear.
- It was still fun
- Don’t tell anyone I said that.
08 April 2014
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm having an affair with another breakfast place. When I wrote this post a few years ago I never thought I could love another breakfast place as much as I loved that one. Sure I had had some places on the side, but nothing serious. All that has changed.
My Don Draper-esque tryst of culinary infidelity started a few months ago. My last few visits to my usual place were a little lack luster; leaving my breakfast desires somewhat unfulfilled. So my eyes wondered, searching for another. I had a place a tad farther away that was a little less busy, who made banana pancakes with bananas baked in. True, the pancakes on their own weren't as good (still very good), but when I had a craving for banana pancakes, I had nowhere else to go. My earlier dissatisfaction coupled with stories of slower service and smaller pancakes means I haven't been back to Norval since late last year.
06 April 2014
After my last post (wow, almost a month ago now) I realized that I lied to the tens of my readers. I actually did bake something in the time between Christmas and that post. I had just completely forgotten. And not for any good reason, this was an excellent recipe that delivered in pretty much every way you could want a maple oatmeal bread to deliver. I mean, I'm writing a post about it, so that must mean something.
Labels: Quick Breads
11 March 2014
I know it's a cliche, but I have found that, for me, a lack of creativity and drive is synonymous with this time of year. I’m not entirely sure that’s an excuse for the annual neglect of my blog; it is what it is. However, it definitely impacts my desire to write and bake.
I'm pretty sure the only thing I have baked this entire year is a giant heart shaped cookie for Valentine’s Day (I know, awwwww, right?). Last year ended with a bunch of stuff for our Christmas party and for Christmas. I tried out a new cinnamon roll and frosting recipe for New Years and I even wrote the post for it, (found it in my draft folder) but never edited it, never posted it.